Sunday, June 7, 2020

Reasons Why Norway is the Ultimate Tourist Destination

I am by no means a reality TV connoisseur. My parents got rid of their television receiver before I was born, so I grew up on the same three VHS's for the first half of my life. And frankly, by the time we got cable, the concept had mostly lost its allure. The Amazing Race is one of the only reality shows that I check out every once in a while, and although most seasons come across as admittedly repetitious, 2017's season 29 resonated with me to the point where I'm still thinking about it a good three years later.

This isn't a CTV review, though. Instead I wanted to talk about the setting of my favourite leg of the race: Oslo, Norway. Prior to watching The Amazing Race, Norway was little more than a dot on a map for me. But ever since watching meticulous drone shot after meticulous drone shot of my favourite team's helicopter tour of the fjords, to put it simply, I was hooked.

Norway Cruises: In the land of Fjords & Northern Lights | Hurtigruten
And as aesthetic as I find the quaint colorful buildings, the northern lights, and the remote arctic fjords, Norway's breathtaking landscapes are only the beginning of what the country has to offer.

I'm sure you've heard of how thriving and prosperous Norway is. I mean, search up data from pretty much any international study, and Norway always seems to come out on top.

The Norwegian government spends over 6.6% of its GDP on education (which is the highest in the world). Norway has over 32 000 electric cars (which is the highest rate per capita in the world). Life expectancy in Norway is 81 years (which is one of the highest in the world). Data outlining state pension, vacation days, and healthcare paints the Norwegian experience as indisputably sublime.

And as maniacal as it may sound, one of the most agreeable parts of life in Norway seems to be their prison system. Of the country's 5.5 million citizens, only about 4 000 are prisoners. To put that into perspective, about 2 million are incarcerated in the United States each year. The jail facilities in Norway are so humane and enlightened that the re-offending crime rates are some of the lowest globally. Criminals, although disciplined, are given freedoms, responsibilities, and arguably most importantly, trust.

Although I wouldn't be completely opposed to uprooting my entire life to move to Norway, even just vacationing there would be a well-needed interruption from the surrounding worldly chaos- a brief step into its oasis-like bubble.

Travel and tourism in Norway is also made comfortable and easy. Transatlantic airline, Norwegian Air, makes direct round flights affordable and accessible. English is a widely spoken second language for most citizens, and Norwegians are seen as some of the most accommodating and friendly people in Europe. And on top of the trendy cuisine, historical architecture, and museums, one of the most appealing aspects of travel in Norway is their "allemannsrett" law which, simply put, allows you to put up a tent just about anywhere aside from private property, national parks, and a few other exceptions.

For hikers, campers, and anyone trying to avoid the expenses of hotels, Norway is a heaven on earth.

I know my Albertan blood might make me a little less repulsed by cold-climated trips, so you may need to put up with some adverse weather conditons. But the cold is made up for by the beautiful scenery, the great quality of life, and the enlightened culture. And that's why Norway is the ultimate tourist destination.

2 comments: