Saturday, June 6, 2020

"Mom" (A Short Story)

This week's writing challenge was "write a text thread between two people." Follow this link to see what my dad came up with. I wrote a short story called "Mom." I hope you enjoy.

Mom

6 years ago


Hey, sweetie! Good luck on your math test. You got this. -Mom


Omg mom, u realize u don’t have to sign your texts, right?    
I just don’t want you to forget about me now that we can talk through our phones!  -Mom


U r such a dork
Anyways, I have to get back to work, and you have a test to be studying for. I love you so much! -Mom


Love you too
5 years ago



Can I sleep over at Kenzie’s tonight?
Are you done your homework yet? -Mom


Uhhhhhh…
Just as I suspected, LOL. You can stay over as long as you finish up your schoolwork this weekend. -Mom


Did u seriously just say lol?
4 years ago


Hey, I hope you have a great day. Sorry I wasn’t home to make your lunch this morning. -Mom


It’s fine
I love you. -Mom


Love u too
3 years ago


Where are you? -Mom


I’m with my friends rn
Will you be back for dinner? -Mom


Jeez, relax. I’ll come home when we’re done hanging out lmao
I know, I just want to know how many I’m cooking for tonight. Sorry! -Mom


K well idk what to tell you

2 years ago


Hey, sweetie. I just wanted to apologize about yesterday. I hope you can forgive me. -Mom


I seriously don’t want to talk about it
That’s okay. But I hope you know I never intended to embarrass you in front of your friends like that. -Mom


Oh, you didn’t MEAN to humiliate me? Well that makes everything soooo much better
I know you’re upset. I wish things had gone differently. -Mom


Yeah, me too
Do you want me to leave work early this afternoon? I can grab takeout on the way home and we can have a picnic at the lake like we used to. -Mom


So you can suck up and get me to forget about the whole thing? Yeah, as appealing as that sounds I think I’ll pass


And you can stop signing your texts. It’s annoying af
Sorry, honey.

I love you.


1 year ago



Hi mom. Ummm, idrk where to start. My therapist told me to try writing you a letter. It kinda reminded me of how you used to sign each of your texts as if you were sealing them in their own little envelopes, so I thought I would send a text instead. I don’t really know how it’s going to help though. Nothing helps.


It’s been a year since… well you know. Dad’s not doing too great and, I mean, who could blame him? I was supposed to go to Queens for MedSci next year but I’m gonna stay home for another year. I don’t want to leave Dad alone just yet. 


Uhhh lol nevermind this was a stupid idea

11 months ago



Hey


I miss you

10 months ago



I’m sorry
9 months ago



Please come back

8 months ago



Why did the universe take you away from me? Is this some kind of sick joke? Or a punishment?


Who did this to me? How could they be so cruel? Why did you leave me?


Why?

7 months ago



If only I had known it would be our last conversation. I wish I could take it all back. 


You were never “annoying af,” Mom. Never.


Maybe if I had let you come home early that night, everything would be different. Maybe we would have eaten takeout and fed the ducks our leftover crusts, and laid down in the grass and looked for shapes in the clouds, and maybe your last meal wouldn’t have been a watered-down cup of coffee from work, and maybe you would have still been here.


Maybe if I wasn’t such an unforgiving brat you would have still been here


I hope you knew that I loved you


Why didn’t I tell you I loved you?


I’m so stupid


I’M SO STUPID

6 months ago



I can’t do it anymore


I’m so alone

1 month ago



Hi again, mom. So… I’m still working with my therapist but things are going a lot better. I got a job as a waitress b/c I’m staying home with Dad for another year. I don’t really think university was the right path for me anyways. 


So yeah, I guess what I wanted to say is thank you. Thank you for everything you‘ve done for me. 


I’m sorry I didn’t say it at the time and I hope it’s not too late… 


I love you too.
Rogers error 127. Unable to send or 
receive messages. This SIM card has 
been disabled due to 12 consecutive
months of inactivity.













2 comments:

  1. Wow... laughter and tears for me.... powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Beautiful!
    So glad it’s fiction...your Mom is indispensable.

    ReplyDelete