Friday, May 1, 2020

Reasons Why Keeping Houseplants Will Change Your Life

About a year ago, I took a rather impulsive trip to my local Home Depot to buy some houseplants. I knew next to nothing about plants, but returned that evening with a succulent, a bag of potting soil, and a lot of enthusiasm.

And it didn't take long for me to fully immerse myself into "plant-culture." My leafy family is constantly growing (both in size and members) and it's one of the most prosperous parts of my life.

Or in other words: I've become completely plant-obsessed.


I'm sure you've heard of the physical benefits of houseplants. They're natural air purifiers, and rid houses of the toxic chemicals found in paint, cigarettes, vinyl, and cleaning solutions. They can also balance humidity and temperature levels, and as a result, people with houseplants suffer less respiratory problems, dry coughs, and sore throats.

Some plants have more easily discernible benefits. Aloe vera are medicinal succulents with anti-inflammatory properties. I'm always using the gel of my aloe plant to treat sunburns and mosquito bites, and it works unexpectedly well.

Other plants bear edible fruit, and still others are tasteful decoration.

But the impact my houseplants have had on my life-style stems from something much deeper than a room with clean air and a cute aesthetic.

Humans are created to nurture, cherish and connect with life. And there's something so rewarding about having a living community in your room whose existence coincides with your own. It's awe-inspiring to watch a seemingly helpless organism grow from a 3-inch sapling into something beautiful right in front of your very eyes.

And knowing that you played a part in that prosperity connects you to something bigger than yourself.

Each of my plants has its own name, story, and personality. A few months ago for example, my Nana gave me a shoot off her Balfour Aralia tree. For a while, my little sapling (that I named Baby Groot) was thriving. But when his leaves started losing their thick rubbery texture, I did some research.

I found out that Aralia trees are actually extremely resilient. The problem though, was that Baby Groot was putting all his energy and strength into reviving his dying limbs. I learned that if I were to cut him down from the trunk, he would actually grow back healthier than ever.

So I gave him a "haircut," and the results were dumbfounding. I cut him down to nothing and watched my tough little Aralia sprout grow back at an almost unbelievable rate.

And as absurd as it may seem, I think there are lessons to be learned in Baby Groot's resiliency and perseverance. And if we learn to step back and listen, there are similar lessons being taught throughout all of nature.

Keeping my potted plants is a simple way of accessing everything the environment has to say, and experiencing it first hand.

There are so many more unexpected ways my plants have improved my quality of life. I've started working with my blinds open, and letting a little more sunlight into my room. I've started using a calendar and following a schedule to make sure I'm watering them properly.

My own personal growth and prosperity has started paralleling the growth and prosperity of my plants.

Keeping my little organic family healthy and happy has given me a fulfilling purpose outside of my own needs.

And that's why keeping houseplants will change your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment