Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Reasons Why Working at a Restaurant is a Good First Job


Last summer, I got hired as a hostess at East Side Mario's. At first, it was a big transition for me- as is any first job- and I remember so often wanting to hand in my two weeks' notice and give up. But after a few months, once I got used to the adjustment, my work became truly rewarding.

And yes, I could talk about the teamwork, resilience, or organization skills that I developed from East Side's, but I'm sure I would more or less be describing any part-time job.

Instead, I want to touch on the really distinct atmosphere that restaurants have, which makes them such a unique and gratifying work environment.

In 2012, Time Magazine reported a study by the University of New Jersey that evaluated the remarkable psychosocial benefits of eating meals as a family. The results transcend healthier body weights and eating habits: teenagers from families who regularly eat together tend to have higher grades, and are significantly less subject to substance abuse, early sexual activity, and depression.

Now, I don't know why that's the case. But from my experiences working at the restaurant, I think it's at least partially due to the almost spiritual aspect of eating together. Something intangible and refined happens when we partake in a meal with others.

And sharing food is usually a private act. We eat in the comfort of our own homes, behind our own closed doors, with our own loved ones. But a restaurant is a public place, which is why it's such an unparalleled space in our culture.

It's this rare intersection of private and public.

Customers bring their purest joys with them through the doors. In the few months I've been working, I've served a group of little boys, excited about their big win in a hockey tournament. I've served teenage couples on their first dates. I've served a woman on her way to the hospital to meet her new grandchild.

But customers also bring their deepest sorrows. I once served a woman who dined alone, and cried the whole time.

Food is, and always has been, a way to celebrate and a way to heal. And when people come to celebrate or heal in a public place, sharing the same waiters and menus as strangers who are experiencing their own trials, it creates a nearly indescribable environment of fellowship and community.

Employees tap into that energy, and it creates a certain exuberance and vitality among the staff. The thrill is more than just stress or chaos: it's a reflection of the life that the crew draws from the customers.

And, at least in my opinion, it's unmatched.

The restaurant industry has a really exclusive atmosphere that even fast food businesses can't quite capture. Not to mention the ease at which new hires can get involved without a lot of training or experience. It also provides the innate impulse to- shall I say- feed off of the social and youthful culture the work has to offer.

And that's why working at a restaurant is a good first job.

1 comment:

  1. My first several jobs were in restaurants. One of the things that brought me enjoyment was in creating a "relationship" with the people I was serving. Reading in to their needs and wants right away and then becoming part of those. I was enjoyed providing each table with the experience I believed they wanted.

    ReplyDelete